Background Information about the RCL Branch #350 Southey
RCL Branch #350 Southey began November 3, 1948 with the insurgence of men and women returning from overseas. The Charter member roster included:
F.H. (Fred) McIlmoyl
The roster grew over the years and includes a list of over 80 comrades.
Our Ladies Auxiliary was started July 18, 1949. Branch was fored to close in the early 00’s due to low numbers, but an injection of new members allowed it to re-open in June of 2009.
Our mandate is to serve our veterans which includes serving military and RCMP members and their families, to promote remembrance and to serve our communities and our country.
Regular Annual Events & Activities
Poster and Literary contests
Remembrance Day Services
Annual scholarship to graduating student
Annual Winter Luncheon at the Lodge
Assisting Museum Board with history and general upkeep
– Wounded Warriors Weekend August 2013
– Donations to Shalom and Strasbourg nursing homes to assist veterans
– Trade Show organization September 2014
A Bit of History on the small park area beside Southey Drugs:
– The area was donated and kept up by Terry and Joanne Mildenberger until the Branch reorganized and was able to assume the responsibility
– The mural was painted by well-known Saskatchewan artist Ernest Bereti. In Autumn of 2017, Mr. Bereti was commissioned to touch up some of the areas that were fading, returning this beautiful piece of honor closer to its original state, rather than letting it become a faded memory.
– The cenotaph was built in 2012/13 and dedicated June 23/13
*** The Park’s naming ceremony took place August 10, 2014. It has now been dedicated as the “A. J. (Jack) Henshaw Memorial Garden”, after one of Branch #350’s longtime members (and Joanne Mildenberger’s father) Jack Henshaw, who joined the branch in 1949 and remained a strong supporting member until his passing in November 2012.
General Branch info:
7:30pm every 3rd Tuesday of the month at the Senior Center
We currently have 20 branch members.
We welcome new members to our branch! If you wish to become a member of Brance #350, please contact us. You do not have to have served in the military- you just have to believe in the preservation of our Country’s history, the importance of Remembrance Day and the support of our troops and emergency personnel, past and present.
Branch #350 is a strong supporter of OSI-CAN- a support program for veterans and community first responders who have experienced an operational stress injury (PTSD). Fore more information on OSI-CAN, please check out our website http://osican.ca or their Facebook page.
President – Tanner Hanus
Vice President – Leigh Bishop
Treasurer – Marlene Bishop
Secretary – Nicole Toews-Tyndale
Chaplain – currently looking to fill this post
Sergeant-at-Arms – Brendan Irwin
Service Officer – Tony Sugarman
Poppy Committee – Mary Massier
Photographer – Ron Walby
Historian – Alana McKay
Chief Gardener – Ed McKay
Leigh Bishop email@example.com or 726-5881 or
Branch email: firstname.lastname@example.org
February 2019 Winter Luncheon at the Lodge
- Montreal Canadians Alumni hockey game vs the OSI-CAN Bruins (at Affinity Place in Estevan, SK)
June 2019 OSI-CAN Mini-Indy in Regina
October/November 2019 Annual Poppy Drive and Remembrance Day Service